Oral - Maxillofacial surgery relates to defects, diseases or injuries upwards of the clavicle and inside the mouth. At Somerset Surgical Services we offer a local anaesthetic day case service.
Referrals can be sent directly from General Practitioners as well as hospital transfers and dental surgeries. Please note that there is a specific dental referral form which can be obtained here SSS Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Referral Form June 2019
Cases treated at Somerset Surgical Services include:
– Removal of buried roots requiring raising, periododontal flap & removal of bone
– Patients on stable anti-coagulant therapy & cardiac therapy not suitable for primary care
– Excisional biopsies (please note SSS are not commissioned to see fast track patients or suspected cancers)
– Soft tissue wisdom teeth impactions / bone wisdom teeth impactions
– Lesions inside of the mouth
– Removal of basal cell carcinomas (a non-melanoma skin cancer)
– Removal of skin lesions/ moles and skin biopsies.
– Selected scar revision surgery including keloid scarring
– Keratin horns
Please note that NHS surgery for many of the above is subject to funding restrictions / approval. Please speak to your General Practitioner for further information regarding criteria.
Our Patient Information Leaflet is available below:-